Effective from 1 December 2020
We do NOT sell your personal information to others for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services. However, we will share information with others where they are providing you a service you requested under our brand (such as with our franchisee or authorised dealer).
By using our services or accessing our website, you agree to the following:
1. Personal Information we collect and hold
1.1 Depending on the services you require, the kinds of personal information which we may collect and hold include:
- your name, address and contact details;
- your credit card and / or payment details;
- for vehicle glass customers – details about your vehicle and if applicable, vehicle leasing arrangements;
- for plumbing, electrical and Exceed® customers – details about your premises and information about ongoing maintenance or service requirements
- for services provided under an insurance policy – details related to your insurance and insurance claim;
If you apply for a position with Smith&Smith® or any of our affiliated companies, potential information collected will include – your name, address, contact details, employment history, educational details, date of birth, tax information, bank and superannuation details, references, emergency contacts, medical history and medical tests, and any other screening tests or assessments.
If you are a supplier, we may collect information about your company, employment details and credit details.
If you are a Franchise Member we will collect information about your company, the directors and any shareholders.
1.2 We may collect personal information from you when you use this website and also when you interact with us by phone, by correspondence (whether by letter, fax or email, online chat, messenger, and other similar online mediums), at one of our branches or when we attend at premises to provide services. Please refer to the sections below for more about the information collected from our website and also about how we may use and disclose personal information.
1.3 We may hold personal information electronically or in paper or hard copy. If you have contacted our sales centre or if our sales centre contact you, as part of our quality control procedure, we may record incoming and outgoing calls.
1.4 If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able either to provide you with the services or to fulfil another purpose of collection.
2. Information we collect from you through this website
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Some sections of our website invite you to complete online forms or otherwise provide us with information, including your personal information, to assist us in making a booking for you or to correspond with you. Now or in the future, we may be able to access the information you input to into our website, including any personal information which you provide. This is so even if you do not actually submit your information to us (eg you do not finalise the requesting an appointment form) and in these cases we may use this information to ask you whether you require our service. This information will include any information which you provide to us such as:
- your name, home or office and/or other personal address, telephone numbers, email address and other contact details;
- your vehicle and insurance or fleet membership details; and
- records of your correspondence with us, if you have contacted us.
3. Communicating with you
Each time you request us to provide you with services, we may send you an email or SMS or call you by telephone to verify the order and confirming details of the goods or services requested and for the purposes of communicating with you in relation to any goods or services you may have requested. We may also send you our service email communications from time to time regarding any technical, administrative or legal notices, our products and services that we consider appropriate. You cannot unsubscribe from these messages.
You consent to us using your personal information to send you marketing message by mail, email, SMS and telephone about related services which may be of interest to you on an ongoing basis. You may unsubscribe from these notices by replying to any such notice with the word "unsubscribe" in the headline, or by contacting our Privacy Officer whose details appear below.
4. Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We may use and disclose your personal information to our related companies (including any joint ventures in which we or our related companies are participants), or to our third party suppliers for commercial purposes, including (as appropriate) providing goods or services to you (including processing your credit card payments), informing you of our other products and services, and to contact you to request information on the level of service we provided to you. We may use and disclose your personal information, whether collected directly by us or by an authorised third party (including your insurance company).
Smith&Smith® will also share your personal information with Authorised Dealers and third parties such as vehicle manufacturers in order for them to provide vehicle glass services which are outside our corporate branch areas.
5.Disclosure of Personal Information to overseas recipients
5.1 Customer satisfaction research, market research, or research looking at how to develop or improve services, may be conducted by a third party on our behalf. These third party companies may be located outside of New Zealand, and will have access only to the personal information needed to perform their research functions and not for any other purposes. Where appropriate, these companies are bound by confidentiality agreements not to disclose any information for any other purpose. You are able to request in advance not to be contacted by our research company by contacting our Privacy Officer, whose details appear below.
5.2 As part of our disaster recovery system, some data is also backed-up in a facility held in Australia. See below for further information on our Data Security.
5.3 We may provide your information to service providers who may be outside of NZ, including our auditors who use overseas service providers; IT support systems who may have support or servers overseas or to your insurance company who may be overseas; we may also share information with our parent company and its affiliates who are located overseas.
5.4 We take all reasonable measures to safeguard your personal information, but no security techniques are 100% effective and where information is transmitted over the Internet, there is always some element of risk involved in sending personal information. We cannot therefore guarantee the security of personal information. While we use reputable overseas service providers, we cannot guarantee that all third parties have comparable privacy law protections to the New Zealand privacy laws. By continuing to use our services, you acknowledge and expressly agree to these terms.
6. Information shared:
6.1 We may disclose your personal information to any appropriate investigative third party if we believe that you are involved in any illegal or harmful conduct or if we are required to do so by law, or we believe that such action is necessary to (1) comply with the law or with legal process; (2) protect and defend our rights and property or that of our customers; (3) prevent fraud; (4) protect against abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of our website; or (5) protect the personal safety or property of our customers or the public (e.g. if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or attempt to pose as someone else, we may disclose such information about you as we have to assist any type of investigation into your actions).
6.2 We may transfer our customer database, including personal information contained therein, to a third party who acquires all or substantially all of the assets or stock in our company or our website service whether by merger, acquisition, reorganisation or otherwise.
6.3 If there is a breach of privacy and it is a notifiable privacy breach, we may also share your personal information with the Privacy Commissioner in order to comply with our obligations under the Privacy law and any other related laws.
Our website may contain links to other websites, solely for your convenience. Please note, these links do not constitute or imply investigation, verification or endorsement of any linked website by us. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites and advise you to read the privacy statements of each website you visit which collects personal information.
8. Access to and Deletion of your Personal Information:
8.1 Supply of your personal information to us is voluntary. At all times, you have the right to inspect your personal information and to request correction where it is in error. If any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date, please contact us immediately and we will take reasonable steps to correct this information.
8.2 We are required to retain your account information which may include personal information for as long as we have a lawful purpose for keeping this information. This is because we may need to access historical information for regulatory and business reporting purposes including assessing any future warranty claims which may arise. We will only retain personal information for a lawful purpose and will destroy or de-identify any personal information if the purpose for which we collected the personal information from you no longer exists or applies.
8.3 To request access or correction to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer at the address below.
9. Data Security:
9.1 We take reasonable security measures to safeguard your personal information. This includes implementing data security safeguards based upon generally accepted industry standards to protect personal information from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or loss.
9.2 Nonetheless, no data security technique are 100% effective and where information is transmitted over the internet there is always some element of risk involved in sending personal information. We cannot therefore guarantee the security of personal information.
- Smith&Smith®, Laser® and Exceed® Privacy Officer
- 1 Rockridge Avenue
- Auckland, 1061
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Changes to this policy: