When temperatures drop and hit new lows during the cold winter months, it's hard not to crank the heat up. Sound familiar? Remember, if you have draughts coming in through gaps around the windows or doors, there is almost no point in turning on the heater - as it’s like money leaking out the window.
Depending on which kiwi power company you are with, winter power bill figures can double if not triple over the colder months. Before you know, you are asking yourself how you have consumed so much electricity to the point where you can no longer afford your electric bill.
Before you panic, Exceed is here with a quick tip that could help you identify draughty windows and save on your electric bill this winter season.
How to check your window for draughts
As the cooler weather arrives it’s a good time to check that all your windows and doors seal tightly. If the catches or friction stays have become loose your windows won’t seal effectively, causing drafts and letting warm air out.
Here is an easy way to identify draughty windows. All you need is a business card and to follow these 3 simple steps:
Note - if your windows are really stiff don’t force them or you could break them.If you are careful you can lubricate the pivot points on either side with a spray lube. Anything but the red CRC (5.56) is okay. The red CDC has a cutting compound in to help free corrosion.
Did the business card fall out or could you easily pull it out of the window?
Then your friction stays are worn and you’ll need to call us to replace them.
In this condition your windows can be draughty and may leak.
Need someone handy to help you draught-proof your home?
- Identify the source of the draught - Our window and door technicians can identify problem areas in your home where cool air could be coming in.
- Adjust, repair, replace or maintain parts - We arrive on time, with fully stocked vans to repair, maintain or replace parts on your windows and doors.
- Help you ensure your home is warm and dry - We can also replace window rubbers, latches and catches, to prevent draughts & water entry coming through almost any gaps.
- Installation of Door & Window accessories - Handles, Winders, Spirals, Seals & Stays.
- Along with sorting any window or door issues you might have. Contact us now!
Organise a visit from one of our Exceed Window & Door Technicians.
They will arrive on time, in their van, with everything they need to repair your windows and doors.
Interest free deals available to make draught proofing your windows & doors even easier!
We have partnered with Q Card to offer you an easier & more affordable way to pay for our services nationwide. Learn more