If you have drafts coming in the windows or doors, there is almost no point turning on the heater - as it is like money leaking out the window.
Depending on which kiwi power company you are with, winter power bill figures can double if not triple over the colder months.
If you are concerned about draughty windows, it is a good idea to check the windows in each room by opening and closing them to see how well the friction stays are working.
How to check your window for draughts
One way to check if the friction stays are working correctly is to open the window, place a business card at the top of the window between the frame and the sash, and close the window. The card should stay there and be hard to pull out.
If the business card falls out, or is easily pulled out the friction stays are worn and you’ll need to call us to replace them. In this condition they can be draughty and leak.
If your windows are in reasonable condition, opening and closing them fully two or three times, twice a year, should avoid the need to call us and lengthen the life of them.
Lubricating your windows
Note - if your windows are really stiff don’t force them or you could break them.If you are careful you can lubricate the pivot points on either side with a spray lube. Anything but the red CRC (5.56) is okay. The red CDC has a cutting compound in to help free corrosion.
Our Services - Let us help you draught-proof your home
- Identify the source of the draught - Our window and door technicians can identify problem areas in your home where cool air could be coming in.
- Adjust, repair, replace or maintain parts - We arrive on time, with fully stocked vans to repair, maintain or replace parts on your windows and doors.
- Help you ensure your home is warm and dry -We can also replace window rubbers, latches and catches, to prevent draughts & water entry coming through almost any gaps.
- Installation of Door & Window accessories - Handles, Winders, Spirals, Seals & Stays.
- Along with sorting any window or door issues you might have. Contact us now!
Need someone handy to maintain your windows and replace any broken window stays, latches, catches or parts?
Would you like to learn how to take better care of your windows & doors?
Sign up to our newsletter and receive our free door and window care tips to extent the lifespan of your doors & windows. We have created a newsletter to send you seasonal home maintenance tips, security tips, power saving tips, home decor ideas, promotions and keep in touch.